- 8 to 10 pounds Chicken Bones and Parts back, neck, carcass, thighs
- 4 to 5 medium Onions - chopped coarsely
- 2 Leeks - rinsed well to remove sand cut into 1/2 inch pieces (use green & white parts)
- 2 whole Celery - cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- Enough water to cover all the ingredients plus 2 extra inches
- 10 to 12 Carrots scrubbed and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 12 sprigs Parsley including stems
- 4 sprigs fresh Thyme
- 2 large Bay Leaves
- 14 whole Black Peppercorns
- Makes 2 Quarts
- In a large stockpot, combine all the ingredients. Add enough cold water to cover all ingredients. Bring the water to a boil and reduce to medium to VERY low temperature, this will help prevent clouding the stock. Do not cover the pot. When it comes to a boil, let the stock simmers for about 4 to 5 hours -- just bubbles gently. You don't have to stand around in the kitchen and supervise the stock as it cooks.
- AS LONG AS IT COOKS VERY SLOWLY!!!
- Turn off the heat and let the stock cool for 30 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken bones and veges and discard. Then, strain the stock through a fine sieve or colander lined with a double layer of cheesecloth.
- Refrigerate for at least 24 hours
- The next day scrape all visible fat and discard. Divide the stock into various sized freezer containers. The stock will keep for 2 or 3 days in the refrigerator, many months in the freezer.